Flood Protection for the Industrial Setting
Andreas Klippe no responses June 29, 2020
Industrial-level businesses are major contributors to the economy of any country. Manufacturing plants and factories provide massive employment opportunities across social classes and sustain supply lines in their respective markets. Each of them play a part in the proverbial economic machine.
Aside from manpower, factories rely on a wide range of equipment to sustain productivity, from machines that process enormous amounts of materials to precision tools and custom-made equipment. Surely, protecting these from damage would be top priority, right?
In our business, we often see such machinery ruined or damaged after a flood. It’s sad to see a business struggle because one machine is unable to operate; all because of non-existent or substandard flood protection.
Any halt in production is sure to affect economies negatively. Economic experts from the United Nations prioritize flood protection awareness. However, sandbags are still commonplace during floods. As flood experts, we commit ourselves to innovations and better safety against floods. Should sandbags be the option at the industrial level?
Makeshift Protection for Industrial-level Enterprises? A Mismatch!
Don’t get us wrong. Sandbags WERE the practical solution for decades past. They provide people a fighting chance against floods. But therein lies the problem, they only give you a fighting chance. Why settle with that if a solid defense is available? Industrial-level enterprises need equally capable flood protection.
Sandbags are simply out of their league when put against the threat of climate change and the capabilities of modern flood solutions. Consider the issues with makeshift flood barriers like sandbags:
- Leakage – Sandbags do not form a tight sealing fit which leads to leaks. Sand and soil also have a limit to how much water they can absorb. Your sandbags become giant water filters once that limit is reached.
- Structural integrity – Sandbags are only stacked on each other. They are not walls which have mortar in between. Even the sacks used can easily be sliced by flood debris. How long do you expect them to last?
- Sustainability – Where does the sand go after you use them?
- Preparedness and installation – How are sandbags stored? Most of the time, they are stacked somewhere else until they erode. And no matter how fast you can fill the sacks, it will simply be too late when it comes to flash floods.
All of these are crucial flaws! There is simply no safety guaranteed. When sandbags fail, so will your precious equipment. No business can be done and a small hitch in one machine will cause a domino effect affecting the income of the company and livelihoods of many.
Say Hello to Modern Solutions!
It is time to leave sandbags in the past! Using sandbags become terribly shortsighted and irresponsible when better options are available. Modern flood barriers are:
- Professionally tested against leakage.
- Designed by engineers and made from high quality materials for structural strength.
- Minimal civil works during installation.
- Operate or activate as needed.
Modern flood barriers are just common sense.
Goodbye Old Sandbag!
The safety of fine tools and expensive equipment should not be entrusted to unreliable sandbags. Why spend a fortune on industrial equipment and facilities but scrimp on flood protection?
Modern flood barriers are the way to go. Climate change threatens us with extreme weather, both dry and wet. Supertyphoons and frequent out-of-season rainfalls might as well be regular occurrences in the future. The solution is to be future-proof if that is our future! Now is the time to explore your options for modern flood protection.
One day, sandbags will be in a museum. I hope you don’t get caught still using them when that time comes! In the meantime, stay safe and stay flood-free.